[gsoc-dev] OpenConferenceWare gsoc project

Lance Albertson lance at osuosl.org
Mon Apr 22 17:18:15 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 9:45 AM, Denis Mone <monedenis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, my name is Denis.
>     I would like to participate in the google summer of code program with
> the OpenConferenceWare android project.I have downloaded the code and
> started getting my hands 'dirty', as well as installed it in my android
> phone.
>
> What i would like to ask is where the data are coming from.From what i
> read from the code it is coming from the internet
>
> but the only link i have found is to foursquare.com. Is it a specific
> link or it depends on the conference?
>
> Also my nic on irc channel is Denis_M.
>
> Thanks for you time!

Greetings Denis and thank you for your interest in our OCW android
project. The data depends entirely on the conference. Unfortunately this
isn't as well documented as it could be but the place to start is here [1].
I believe what we used in the past was a combination of a screen scraping
app (if the conference didn't have something in a machine readable format
least JSON), or there's a data service app we run which displays the
information. I'm not sure if that's documented very well in the code or not
but I believe that's what happened.

The intended way this app was supposed to work is that whatever conference
you used would have a json input feed formatted in the proper way. The only
conference that currently does that is Open Source Bridge. You might take a
look at the various forks to see what people have done to the code and I
will seek the original author on our end to find out how we did it a few
years ago.

In the meantime, feel free to use this feed [2] from last year's OSB
conference schedule as a test.

[1] http://code.osuosl.org/projects/ocw-android/wiki/data_format
[2] http://opensourcebridge.org/events/2012/schedule.json

--