[gsoc-dev] OpenConferenceWare gsoc project

Lance Albertson lance at osuosl.org
Mon Apr 22 17:51:53 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 10:18 AM, Lance Albertson <lance at osuosl.org> wrote:

> Greetings Denis and thank you for your interest in our OCW android
> project. The data depends entirely on the conference. Unfortunately this
> isn't as well documented as it could be but the place to start is here [1].
> I believe what we used in the past was a combination of a screen scraping
> app (if the conference didn't have something in a machine readable format
> least JSON), or there's a data service app we run which displays the
> information. I'm not sure if that's documented very well in the code or not
> but I believe that's what happened.
>
> The intended way this app was supposed to work is that whatever conference
> you used would have a json input feed formatted in the proper way. The only
> conference that currently does that is Open Source Bridge. You might take a
> look at the various forks to see what people have done to the code and I
> will seek the original author on our end to find out how we did it a few
> years ago.
>
> In the meantime, feel free to use this feed [2] from last year's OSB
> conference schedule as a test.
>
> [1] http://code.osuosl.org/projects/ocw-android/wiki/data_format
> [2] http://opensourcebridge.org/events/2012/schedule.json

I spoke with the original author of OCW-Android and got a little more
historical background. The original design of the JSON data feed was based
off of Openconferenceware's (OCW) data feed. We did make a screen scraper
written in Django when we adjusted the app for OSCON back in 2010 but never
published the app. So if you want to do more tests you may need to run a
local copy of OCW which is a rails application itself. The data feed may
have changed over the years so you might check the other folks of the
project to be sure.

He sent me the code for the screen scraper which is not documented at all
but it might be useful for folks who want to use this android app but can't
control the data feed into a way that works best for the app. I'll push
this code to github soon once I clean it up a bit. Whether or not it works
still would be debatable.

--
Lance Albertson
Director