[gsoc-dev] Question - Ganeti Cluster

Justin Dugger jldugger at osuosl.org
Thu Jul 4 06:43:16 UTC 2013

> Is such kind of a situation where multiple base domains exist on the same cluster, common?

I don't know if it's *common*, but the OSL supports a variety of
projects, with different domains. Sometimes they have the same naming
scheme, unfortunately. For example, phpBB and kernel.org both had a
host named deimos. Or, with our newer, better naming scheme, multiple
projects have a host named lb1 running as a load balancer.

Perhaps for ganeti internals we should move to a simpler system like
140.211-x-y.ganeti.osuosl.org, but for the moment our nodes are
manually named.

> Any idea you suggest on creating a suitable ID out of the FQDN of a node without a period (.), a simple example - Omitting out the period.

What are permitted characters for IDs, is there a uniqueness
constraint, and what are the IDs used for? Omitting periods has some
easily crafted collisions: consider two hosts: www.php.bb.net and
www.phpbb.net. If replacing periods with dashes or underscores is
allowed, that's the simplest solution I can think of.