[gsoc-dev] GSoC Update, Questions on creating pull request

pranjal mittal mittal.pranjal at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 14:51:02 UTC 2013

Hello Chance,

Sure, I will try to re-factor the code into a separate app and ask you if I
have any problem.

As for the visual model [1] -> PANNING is there, its just a little subtle
to notice. You have do a "mouse down" (click-hold) anywhere for roughly 1
sec, to enable *panning mode* and then move the mouse accordingly keeping
it pressed.
I will try to make such UX aspects better gradually.

[1] pramttl.github.io

Thank you for the feedback! :)

 Kind Regards,
- Pranjal

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 1:10 AM, Chance Zibolski <chance at osuosl.org> wrote:

> I think this looks pretty awesome. You've made great progress!
>
> You probably want to add the ability to pan since you can zoom. I noticed
> if I zoomed in too much, if i wanted to look at something on the other
> side, I had to play with zooming in and out until I could "move" my
> viewport to the other side of the screen.
>
> Secondly, you're code looks great, very clean. I think to improve on this,
> you should move your django code into its own django app in GWM. I think if
> you move your views/urls/js into their own app, that will go a long way,
> especially since this is the project layout we're moving towards with
> Peter's GSOC project. Take a look here at his github to see how he's got
> the code separated into different apps:
> https://github.com/pbanaszkiewicz/ganeti_webmgr/tree/enhancement/13599/ganeti_web and
> here's an example of how they'll all be loaded eventually:
> https://github.com/pbanaszkiewicz/ganeti_webmgr/blob/enhancement/13599/ganeti_web/ganeti_web/settings/local.py#L96
>

> You don't have to do a whole lot for this, simply make a new django app
> directory, move the views into there, create your own urls.py, and make an
> empty models.py file, and include the new app in the settings file. I hope
> that makes sense, if you need help let me know and I'll do my best to help
> you out.
>

> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 11:01 AM, pranjal mittal <mittal.pranjal at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Hello Everyone,
>>

>> I have added a blog update [1]<http://www.pranjalmittal.in/2013/07/google-summer-of-code-update-1.html>summarizing my work on the GSoC project.
>> I sent this link on IRC too, but my internet today is very intermittent
>> and I guess I am missing the chat messages.
>>
>> As I mentioned in the blog post, ganetiviz-cytoscape [2]<https://github.com/pramttl/ganetiviz-cytoscape>,
>> is the library where most of the front-end code for this project has been
>> added including test cluster data fixtures that are of exactly same format
>> as:
>>  what will be returned by the GWM Views code  [3]<https://github.com/pramttl/ganeti_webmgr/blob/feature/13569/ganeti_web/views/ganetiviz.py> I
>> have written, on the feature/13569 branch of my GWM fork [4]<https://github.com/pramttl/ganeti_webmgr/tree/feature/13569>
>> .
>>
>>  After discussion with chance, Mathuin on IRC, I added the
>> get_natural_keys method to the Node model in GWM for solving the Foreign
>> Key serialization problem; and it works pretty well.
>>
>> I have tested everything now and everything looks good. N*ow I am keen
>> on knowing the further changes I need to do, if any, so that I can send a
>> PULL REQUEST from my
>> pramttl:feature/13569 branch to osuosl : feature/13569*.
>> (not develop right now)
>> Note: This is not feature complete, but just something that works nicely.
>>
>> So please throw some light on this for me. :-)

> [...]

Best Regards,