[gsoc-dev] (no subject)

Lance Albertson lance at osuosl.org
Mon Aug 19 17:23:47 UTC 2013

On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 4:25 AM, pranjal mittal <mittal.pranjal at gmail.com>wrote:

> I have improve instance placement now [1], by adding a panel-layout on the
> right that shows all the primary instances corresponding to the node you
> clicked on.
> Further if you click on an instance in this panel the Failover Edge is
> highlighted, and there should be no clutter between the instances on the
> graph and the edges between nodes now.
>
> This panel is visible only after you click a node and expands vertically
> depending on the number of instances. (The position of this panel is fixed
> for now)

Neat! This is great and an excellent start too the feature I was looking
for.

> Also, I have (deliberately) not removed the "ingraph instances placement"
> completely. Its merely hidden to avoid any clutter.
> Keeping the "ingraph instances" alive, is important so that some other
> features, including the - *'s' feature *(Show me secondary instances)
> feature, do not break.

Are you referring to when pressing 's' seeing where the secondaries are?
Yes I see you still have that as a circular graph. The font size makes it
really difficult to read not to mention they overlap in some cases. I was
really hoping we can use some type of a grid-like graph instead when
showing those but I know that the frame work is making that more difficult.
I see your note below about an upcoming feature which may resolve that
which is great!

> & yeah!  "Additional Instance Information to be shown"
> Have this issue in mind -> Next on my TODO. :)

sweet!

Do let me know of further improvements to this instance placement here, (or

[1] http://pramttl.github.io/
> [2] https://github.com/pramttl/ganetiviz-cytoscape
>

> P.S:
> Here is a link to the docs of the framework I am using.
> cytoscape.github.io/cytoscape.js/
> They have an interesting enhancement in development that allows different
> layout's for a (subset) collection of graph elements, which is
> NOT available till now (includes grid layout) (That could be something
> useful to us in future for dynamic placement of instances in a grid fashion
> near a node.)
> Hope this information was useful.

Excellent!

I think I will add a few more issues to your tracker for bugs/features.

--
Lance Albertson
Director