[gsoc-dev] [GSoC 2014] Tasks for the Data Centre Tools project

Lance Albertson lance at osuosl.org
Thu Mar 13 18:47:19 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 11:39 AM, Emaad Ahmed Manzoor <
emaadmanzoor at gmail.com> wrote:

> I will start working on the proposal. These are some broad areas I have
> planned to cover in the project proposal/timeline:
>
> 1. Capability of running commands via SOL.
> 2. Power cycling the server.
> 3. Getting sensors values
> 4. Getting system event logs.
> 5. Building a UI (web/terminal based) to allow adding a machine (via
> name/IP address) and then querying it for the information listed above.
>
> I gathered these requirements from the project description. Are there
> other features of the project that I have missed in the list above?

You will need to figure out how to store the machines (assuming a
database of some kind). Optionally it would be great to have an API so that
we could make use of it with other tools whether its an android app,
automated tool, etc.

You also will need to consider having a user/pass system with some
privileged users, but that might be a feature we can deal with later if it
gets too complicated. I'd be happy if it at least works and then adding the
user stuff later.

Also, you might consider designing it with a backend separate from the
front end (i.e. terminal frontend, webapp frontend, etc).

--
Lance Albertson
Director