[gsoc-dev] Regarding GSOC 2014

Lance Albertson lance at osuosl.org
Mon Mar 17 16:52:29 UTC 2014

On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 3:14 PM, Anurag Soni <anuragsoni.iiith at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have gone through the codebase. I think I have understood most of it and
> got a quite clear picture of the workflow. I have some doubts related to
> the project though. Can you please clarify them.
>
> 1. How does the master get updated, I mean is there any cron job running
> on it like the slaves or do we  manually run the update script?

There is a cronjob [1] that adds the run-update command with --email.
That's how the master initiates the upstream syncing. Cron itself isn't
necessarily a requirement given enough reason, its just what we've used for
years.

[1]
https://github.com/osuosl/osuosl-mirror-sync/blob/master/cron.d/update.master#L13

> 2. During addition of new project, do we  manually push the project files
> on the master or is there any other way.

Currently our configuration management pushes out the necessary files
that we manually add. I'd prefer to have some other configurable way of
doing that moving forward that isn't necessarily tied to configuration
management. (i.e. perhaps an API that configuration management could talk
to to add/remove projects). I'd prefer this app to manage most of its own
configuration if possible.

> Also, What is the scope of the project w.r.t. GSOC, I mean what features
> we need to add, and what are the architectural changes you are looking for.
> I think, one thing is to implement the dashboard.for statistics and
> monitoring purpose..

Let me update the project proposal page to reflect what I'm looking for
better. I realized that I didn't do a very good job of doing that
initially. I'll let you know once I push that out later today.

And, can you please tell me when can you be available on IRC so that it
> would be easier for me to get my doubts cleared.

I'm generally available from 8am-5pm PDT and sometimes 7-10pm PDT
depending on what I'm doing.

> Once I am clear with the above questions, I think I can start writing my
> proposal. I want to do it as early as possible, so that you can review
> before final submission, as deadline is coming closer.

Thanks! Feel free to submit a draft to me directly via a Google Doc.
It'll make it easier for me to offer suggestions.

--
Lance Albertson
Director