[gsoc-dev] About GSOC 2015 Project idea and proposal

Jack Twilley jmt at osuosl.org
Thu Mar 5 22:08:00 UTC 2015

Hello Asif!

The PGD has some nifty science going on but at its core it is essentially a
classic Django database app.  We curate proteins from the world-wide
protein data bank based on files generated by a protein sequence culling
server and store those proteins in a searchable form.  Scientists can then
query this database to study conformation, bond lengths and angles, and
other cool things.

What this means to you is that you probably have the skills and experience
necessary to contribute to the PGD on the Django side of things, and
there's plenty of room to grow on the science side.  A potential gateway
project could be the retooling of the (admittedly minimal) user account
system currently in place.  Most of the work involved in getting users
working properly is traditional Django stuff, but adding the ability to
reliably save searches would start you down the science path.  Questions
like "How do searches work?" turn into "What exactly are the scientists
searching for?" and "How do all the parts work together?" pretty quickly,
and for me it was quite fun and exciting to delve into the source code and
learn the answers.

Please take a look at the issues and let me know if you have any questions!

Jack.