[Intel-wired-lan] vlan packet handling in ixgbevf driver when in promiscuous mode

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Tue Jun 2 00:01:44 UTC 2015

Could you elaborate?

The use-case here is for NFV/SDN type stuff, where we want to be able to run a
router or something similar in the guest--so it needs to be able to receive
packets from all VLANs.

 From what I see if you enable promiscuous mode on the PF then the VFs get
packets from all VLANs.

With the stock ixgbevf driver in the guest this doesn't work well because any
packets from VLANs that the guest hasn't registered for do not get the vlan tags
added back in to the packets (which makes it useless for routing).  With a minor
change to the ixgbevf driver to put the vlan tags back in for all packets it
seems to work okay.  Maybe this change would be a reasonable thing to do in the
stock ixgbevf driver when enabling promiscuous mode in the guest?

Also, it seems to work fine with the DPDK drivers in the guest when the host is
in promiscuous mode.

Chris