[Intel-wired-lan] e1000e tx queue timeout with small mss values

Josh Hunt johunt at akamai.com
Tue Sep 22 16:01:04 UTC 2015

We are seeing transmit queue timeouts with the 82574L even with the
following patch applied, e1000e: DoS while TSO enabled caused by link
partner with small MSS, commit d821a4c4d11ad160925dab2bb009b8444beff484
upstream. We're running upstream 3.14.43. We've noticed an increase in
the frequency of hitting the timeouts when we have tcp mtu probing
enabled. This is allowing some connections to get MSS values of 36.

There was some discussion during the original reporting of this issue on
trying to reproduce it in a lab setting, possibly setting the advmss via
ip route. I've tried this in our lab, but am unable to trigger the
problem. I was wondering if anyone there knows how to possibly trigger
this issue in a lab setting?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Josh