[Intel-wired-lan] [Qemu-devel] [RFC Patch 00/12] IXGBE: Add live migration support for SRIOV NIC

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at redhat.com
Thu Oct 22 12:55:34 UTC 2015

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 12:37:32AM +0800, Lan Tianyu wrote:
> This patchset is to propose a new solution to add live migration support for 82599
> SRIOV network card.
>
> Im our solution, we prefer to put all device specific operation into VF and
> PF driver and make code in the Qemu more general.

Adding code to VF driver makes sense.  However, adding code to PF driver
is problematic: PF and VF run within different environments, you can't
assume PF and VF drivers are the same version.

I guess that would be acceptable if these messages make
it into the official intel spec, along with
hardware registers.

--
MST