[Intel-wired-lan] Bug with 'igb: Remove GS40G specific defines/functions'

Jochen Henneberg jh at henneberg-systemdesign.com
Thu Oct 13 08:58:15 UTC 2016

On Mi, 2016-10-12 at 21:18 +0000, Chris Arges wrote:

> On 10/12/16, 3:46 PM, "Aaron Sierra" <asierra at xes-inc.com> wrote:
>
>     Chris,
>
>     > I’m not sure exactly which part I need to comment out to verify in
>     > ‘igb_init_phy_params_82575()’.
>     > Is there a fix already planned for this? Any additional information I can
>     > provide?
>
>     Did you follow any of the "Next message" links? There is more to the
>     discussion than that first page that I linked to.
>
>     In that discussion we determined that the PHY was somehow setup with a
>     non-zero register page setting. That was treated as a BIOS bug rather
>     than a driver bug.
>
>     If you're having the same problem, then it could be possible to explicitly
>     set the default page to zero, but I'm not sure where that _should_ be done
>     or if that is generally the correct/safe thing to do.
>
>     -Aaron
>
> Aaron,
> Ah sorry about that, I thought you were referring just to that particular post.
> I’ll forward this along to the BIOS vendor.
> Thanks,
> --chris

Chris,

I was the original reporter of that issue. Find attached the patch that
I currently use to ensure correct page selection before the
configuration is started (id read).
I am not sure if this is a good fix (though it is quite small which I
would assume makes it good) and it applies to 4.5 kernel, I did not test
with current head.
The chips datasheet says that the initial page selection is 0, so this
is assumed to be obsolete, but the BIOS may mess up things and as not
everybody has means to modify or request a BIOS update it might make
sense to bring this patch into the driver. It comes with almost no cost
from what I can see.
Please let me know if this fixes your problem.

Regards
-Jochen

Henneberg - Systemdesign
Jochen Henneberg