[Intel-wired-lan] [RFC net-next 0/5] TSN: Add qdisc-based config interfaces for traffic shapers

Richard Cochran richardcochran at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 15:53:15 UTC 2017

On Thu, Sep 07, 2017 at 05:27:51PM +0200, Henrik Austad wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 07, 2017 at 02:40:18PM +0200, Richard Cochran wrote:
> And if you want to this driver to act as a bridge, how do you accomodate
> change in network requirements? (i.e. how does this work with switchdev?)

To my understanding, this Qdisc idea provides QoS for the host's
transmitted traffic, and nothing more.

> - Or am I overthinking this?

Being able to configure the external ports of a switchdev is probably
a nice feature, but that is another story.  (But maybe I misunderstood
the authors' intent!)

> If you have more than 1 application in userspace that wants to send data
> using this scheduler, how do you ensure fair transmission of frames? (both
> how much bandwidth they use,

There are many ways to handle this, and we shouldn't put any of that
policy into the kernel.  For example, there might be a monolithic
application with configurable threads, or an allocation server that
grants bandwidth to applications via IPC, or a multiplexing stream
server like jack, pulse, etc, and so on...

> but also ordering of frames from each application)

Not sure what you mean by this.

> Do you expect all of this to be handled in userspace?

Yes, I do.

Thanks,
Richard