[Intel-wired-lan] [RFC net-next 0/5] TSN: Add qdisc-based config interfaces for traffic shapers

Henrik Austad henrik at austad.us
Thu Sep 7 16:18:38 UTC 2017

On Thu, Sep 07, 2017 at 05:53:15PM +0200, Richard Cochran wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 07, 2017 at 05:27:51PM +0200, Henrik Austad wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 07, 2017 at 02:40:18PM +0200, Richard Cochran wrote:
> > And if you want to this driver to act as a bridge, how do you accomodate
> > change in network requirements? (i.e. how does this work with switchdev?)
>
> To my understanding, this Qdisc idea provides QoS for the host's
> transmitted traffic, and nothing more.

Ok, then we're on the same page.

> > - Or am I overthinking this?
>
> Being able to configure the external ports of a switchdev is probably
> a nice feature, but that is another story.  (But maybe I misunderstood
> the authors' intent!)

ok, chalk that one up for later perhaps

> > If you have more than 1 application in userspace that wants to send data
> > using this scheduler, how do you ensure fair transmission of frames? (both
> > how much bandwidth they use,
>
> There are many ways to handle this, and we shouldn't put any of that
> policy into the kernel.  For example, there might be a monolithic
> application with configurable threads, or an allocation server that
> grants bandwidth to applications via IPC, or a multiplexing stream
> server like jack, pulse, etc, and so on...

true

> > but also ordering of frames from each application)
>
> Not sure what you mean by this.

Fair enough, I'm not that good at making myself clear :)

Let's see if I can make a better attempt:

If you have 2 separate applications that have their own streams going to
different endpoints - but both are in the same class, then they will
share the qdisc bandwidth.

So application
- A sends frame A1, A2, A3, .. An
- B sends B1, B2, .. Bn

What I was trying to describe was: if application A send 2 frames, and B
sends 2 frames at the same time, then you would hope that the order would
be A1, B1, A2, B2, and not A1, A2, B1, B2.

None of this would be a problem if you expect a *single* user, like the
allocation server you described above. Again, I think this is just me
overthinking the problem right now :)

> > Do you expect all of this to be handled in userspace?
>
> Yes, I do.

ok, fair enough

Thanks for answering my questions!

--