[Intel-wired-lan] [RFC v3 net-next 08/18] net: SO_TXTIME: Add clockid and drop_if_late params

Jesus Sanchez-Palencia jesus.sanchez-palencia at intel.com
Thu Mar 8 17:56:32 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 03/08/2018 08:44 AM, Richard Cochran wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 07, 2018 at 09:47:40AM -0800, Eric Dumazet wrote:
>> I would love if skb->tstamp could be either 0 or expressed in
>> ktime_get() base all the time.
>>
>> ( Even if we would have to convert this to other bases when/if needed)
>
> We really do need variable clock IDs.  Otherwise the HW offloading
> case won't work.  The desired transmit time must be expressed in terms
> of the clock inside the MAC.  This clock is not necessarily related to
> the system time at all.
>
> But in addition to the performance concerns, I think putting this into
> a socket option is the more natural solution.

Ok, so we have it settled for clockid now. Providing it per-socket was what we'd
proposed previously, so this was just an attempt to accommodate all the feedback
we got on the v2 RFC.

What about the tc_drop_if_late bit, though? Would it be acceptable to keep it
per-packet, thus eating the 1-bit hole from skbuff if we would #if guard it
(e.g. with CONFIG_NET_SCH_TBS)?

Thanks,
Jesus