[Intel-wired-lan] (bisected) ixgbe tx hang since 4.16-rc1

Andre Tomt andre at tomt.net
Mon Jun 4 00:35:54 UTC 2018

On 04. juni 2018 02:15, Shannon Nelson wrote:
> On 6/3/2018 12:55 AM, Andre Tomt wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> Since kernel 4.16-rc1 and including linus mainline git tree as of
>> earlier today this Atom Denverton system with a X553 embedded network
>> controllers has been unable to send packets until I kick the interface
>> with a ethtool -r or leave it alone until it trips the TX Unit Hang
>> watchdog.
>
> Hi Andre,
>
> Thanks for your bug report and the bisection.  I'm not aware of any
> differences in the x553 from the rest of the x5xx family, and I don't
> have access to one, so I can't do any testing of my own.
>
> I can imagine how removing the call to ixgbe_ipsec_stop_engine() might
> help, but since the driver is still advertising support for the IPsec
> offload, I'm afraid there would still be other problems popping up if
> someone tried to use the offload.  If this particular device, or family
> of devices, is problematic, it might be better to simply filter them out
> at the top of ixgbe_init_ipsec_offload() like we do for the 82598.

Indeed, this was only a minimal semi-revert to verify the bisection result.

> In order to help our friends at Intel do some further investigation,
> would you please include the output from "lspci -s <pci-bdf> -nv" so we
> can know for sure which device this is?

Here it is, for one of the pci devices (they are all identical)
root at ubuntu1804:~# lspci -s 05:00.0 -nv
05:00.0 0200: 8086:15e4 (rev 11)
	Subsystem: 8086:0000
	Memory at 7b7f800000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=2M]
	Memory at 7b7fa04000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Expansion ROM at df680000 [disabled] [size=512K]
	Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable+ 64bit+
	Capabilities: [70] MSI-X: Enable+ Count=64 Masked-
	Capabilities: [a0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
	Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
	Capabilities: [140] Device Serial Number 00-00-c9-ff-ff-00-00-00
	Capabilities: [150] Alternative Routing-ID Interpretation (ARI)
	Capabilities: [160] Single Root I/O Virtualization (SR-IOV)
	Capabilities: [1b0] Access Control Services
	Kernel driver in use: ixgbe
	Kernel modules: ixgbe