[Intel-wired-lan] [Regression] "e1000e: Add support for S0ix" breaks s2idle on Lenovo X1 Carbon 7th

Neftin, Sasha sasha.neftin at intel.com
Wed Mar 18 08:50:19 UTC 2020

On 3/18/2020 10:23, Kai-Heng Feng wrote:
> Hi Sasha,
>
>> On Mar 18, 2020, at 15:32, Neftin, Sasha <sasha.neftin at intel.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 3/18/2020 05:12, Kai-Heng Feng wrote:
>>> Hi Vitaly,

>>> No, ethernet cable is not plugged.
>>> Same issue after doing that.
>>> Though unlikely, can this be caused by the special design of X1 Carbon?
>>> To keep the laptop thin, it doesn't have a RJ45 port. Instead it has a special connecter which requires a RJ45 dongle to support ethernet.
>>> Maybe that's why the PHY part isn't working after suspend?
>> Hello Kai-Heng,
>> Thanks for your response. I would like clarify/understand Lenovo X1 Carbon setup:
>> How laptop connected to the docking station?
>
> There's no docking station involved. Just a regular e1000e device connects to root complex.
>
>> Thunderbolt or Lenovo proprietary connection?
>
> No thunderbolt involved.
>
> I'd say it's proprietary:
> https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/cables-and-adapters/adapters/CABLE-BO-Ethernet-Extension-Adapter-2/p/4X90Q84427
>
> The ethernet port is next to thunderbolt, but it's not thunderbolt:
> https://images.idgesg.net/images/article/2018/08/left-ports-100769115-orig.jpg
>
>> Where is LAN located (physically) in a laptop or dock?
>> PHY located in docking, right?
>
> This I don't know. I'll raise the issue to Lenovo hardware team.

ok, let's understand where is PHY location.
Since no docking connected why driver should run? There is no RJ45 port
on laptop.
S0ix flow same (I got confirmation from our architecture team) and
should haven't impact on Sx.
if PHY located externally... during S0ix flow we try access to the PHY
and it can be problem. Since laptop have no RJ45 connector driver not
expected to run I though.