[Intel-wired-lan] i40e/iavf bandwidth spikes to 500Gbps & returning IAVF_ERR_PARAM

Kubalewski, Arkadiusz arkadiusz.kubalewski at intel.com
Sun Nov 1 19:35:33 UTC 2020

Good day JD!

The message you have provided:
iavf 0000:00:05.0: PF returned error -5 (IAVF_ERR_PARAM) to our request 15
indicates that there was a failure while communicating with parent PF port.
In fact, failed command was trying to get statistics of a VF port from parent PF.
Command have failed, so the stats returned shall be equal to 0.
Probably Prometheus considered them valid and that is why it shows "impossible" stats.

About the command failure...
It is related to old issue, where PF and VF are out of sync on their communication channel.

The issue was already fixed in 2.12.6, please use the latest driver to get rid of the issue

Hope this helps 😊

Best Regards,

Arkadiusz Kubalewski
Software Engineer