[Intel-wired-lan] ixgbe limits on core count

Brian Topping brian.topping at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 11:19:23 UTC 2021

Hello experts!

I’m setting up a machine with two E5-2696 v3 CPUs using XDP on kernel 5.10.6-051006-generic and running into the constraint at https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ixgbe/ixgbe_main.c#n10136 <https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ixgbe/ixgbe_main.c#n10136>.

Any advice what the most practical long term solution is?

Short term, I can dial back the number of usable cores. I haven’t dug into the bits to understand if this constraint is based on hardware limits on the card or this was a choice that was made when processors had fewer cores.

Thanks kindly!

Brian