[Intel-wired-lan] [RFC v2 net-next 1/2] rtnetlink: Add new RTM_GETSYNCESTATE message to get SyncE status

Machnikowski, Maciej maciej.machnikowski at intel.com
Tue Aug 31 10:20:18 UTC 2021

I agree that this also is useful for Time card, yet it's also useful here.
PTP subsystem should implement a similar logic to this one for
DPLL-driven timers which can lock its frequency to external sources.

The reasoning behind putting it here is to enable returning the lock
to the GNSS receiver embedded on the NIC as a source for the
SyncE frequency. It helps distinguishing the embedded GNSS
from the external sources. As a result - the upper layer can report
GNSS lock based only on this message without the need to put the
embedded  GNSS receiver in the config file. On the other hand - if
sync to External source is reported such SW would need to read
the source of external sync from the config file.

And the list is expandable - if we need to define more embedded
sync source types we can always add more to it.

Regards
Maciek