[Intel-wired-lan] [RFC v2 net-next 1/2] rtnetlink: Add new RTM_GETSYNCESTATE message to get SyncE status

Machnikowski, Maciej maciej.machnikowski at intel.com
Tue Aug 31 14:07:32 UTC 2021

driving the SyncE logic can be separate from the one driving PTP.  Also
SyncE is frequency-only oriented and doesn't care about phase and
Time of Day that PTP also needs. The GNSS lock on the PTP side will be
multi-layered, as the full lock would mean that our PTP clock is not only
syntonized, but also has its time and phase set correctly.

A PTP can reuse the "physical" part of this interface later on, but it also needs
to solve more SW-specific challenges, like reporting the PTP lock on a SW level.

I agree that having such API for PTP subsystem will be very useful,
but let's address SyncE in netdev first and build the PTP netlink on top of what
we learn here. We can always move the structures defined here to the layer
above without affecting any APIs.