[Maintain] How to do reverse dns

Brandon Philips brandon at osuosl.org
Mon Apr 11 10:07:19 PDT 2005

Greg,

Sorry for the long delay, I started writing the email last week, but
forgot to send.

> I haven't seen a good explanation of how to set up in-addr.arpa zones.  Do I
> just create the appropriate in-addr.arpas, and then when hosts get defined,
> they will automatically associate themselves with the right reverse zones?
> Each host belongs to a domain (which I assume to be the "forward" domain) but
> there's no place to tell it which reverse domain it goes into.  Hopefully it
> just does the right thing.  I'll be testing to see what actually happens if
> the in-addr.arpas are in a different admin zone.

For hosts the in-addr.arpas should not be necessary, tinydns
automagically creates the reverse pointer record.

http://tinyurl.com/3td8a

> Speaking of reverses, does maintain support CNAME-type reverses, like you
> would use to split up reverse dns into chunks that are not /16 or /24?
> Example:  My home site looks like this:
> 218.172.225.69.in-addr.arpa. 7200 IN    CNAME
> 218.216.172.225.69.in-addr.arpa.
> 218.216.172.225.69.in-addr.arpa. 21600 IN PTR   neko-base.nekodojo.org.
> 216.172.225.69.in-addr.arpa. 21600 IN   NS      ns2.nekodojo.org.
> 216.172.225.69.in-addr.arpa. 21600 IN   NS      ns1.nekodojo.org.
>
> How would I tell Maintain that the data should be placed into
> d.0.c.b.a.in-addr.arpa instead of the standard
> d.c.b.a.in-addr.arpa?

I am familiar with this type of setup.  Could you explain it a bit more?
Or maybe point me to a website that shows a use case?

-Brandon

--
Brandon Philips
brandon at osuosl.org
"Open minds. Open doors. Open source." - osuosl.org