[Maintain] Re: [Maintain-dev] Import scripts and i18n

Brandon Philips brandon at osuosl.org
Wed Apr 13 16:52:51 PDT 2005

Leslie,

> 10,000?  If only we had 10,000 hosts!  :-)  Try 100,000+ hosts and 177
> master
> domains.
>
> The trouble with going straight from zone transfer output to maintain is
> parsing
> the Bind file.  One of our network engineers says he tried to write a
> parser for
> Bind a few years ago and gave up.

The Net_DNS package abstracts out the whole data format pretty nicely,
into the various records.  No need to parse any BIND zone files.
Another advantage is that importing from most any DNS server now becomes
much easier.

> Pre-Maintain, we store our hostmaster data in multiple text files using a
> subset of the Bind formatting rules.  These data files are what our import
> script uses to import our current DNS setup into Maintain.  So files are
> in a standard Bind format, but we don't have to deal with every possible
> permutation one could get from zone transfer output.  This approach may
> not work for everyone.

Leslie hits the nail on the head right here.  The file format for BIND
is not trivial for a machine to parse.

> We have not yet tackled importing our DHCP into Maintain.

-Brandon

--
Brandon Philips
brandon at osuosl.org
"Open minds. Open doors. Open source." - osuosl.org