[Maintain] inconsistent behavior re: cnames, possible bug/RFE?

Leslie S Arvin arvin at purdue.edu
Wed Apr 27 07:35:30 PDT 2005

Inconsistent behavior:

When I select to edit a host in Maintain 2.4.2-RC2, I do not see
displayed a list of CNAMEs for that host.  If I change the name of the
host to something new and then change it back to its original name,
a list of all CNAMEs pointing to that host is displayed at the bottom
of the "Modifying Host Information" page.

We would prefer this list of CNAMEs appear all the time.

Possible bug or request for enhancement:

If I change the name of a host, the CNAMEs that pointed to that host are
left pointing to nothing.  This could be a big problem for us.  It would
be nice if Maintain would check the CNAMEs and MX records and warn, or
automatically update, or display a list of affected child objects when
zone admins might make such an error.  In our current hostmaster administration
we have a problem with this, and this is the type of issue we were hoping
Maintain would manage for us.

-- Leslie Arvin
    arvin at purdue.edu, Office: MATH B60-D, Phone: 765-49-63971
    Systems Administrator, ITI-Networks
    Purdue University, Information Technology at Purdue