[Maintain] Implementing IPv6 under maintain

Yves-Alexis Perez yves-alexis.perez at univ-rennes1.fr
Thu Apr 28 02:13:48 PDT 2005

Brandon Philips wrote:
> Yves-Alexis-
>

>>So I'll try to implement it myself, and I'd like to know if, before I
>>start, there are something I need to know, some mistakes no to do in
>>Maintain's code, and some help you could provide me.
>

> Keep the list updated with patches and the status of the project, and I
> will try them out once and awhile and help you with any problem.
>
> And feel free to ask questions as you run into problems.
>
> Best Wishes,
>
> Brandon

I'm starting to work on IPv6 with maintain, and, at the moment, we dont
know if we are doing something for DHCP, because autoconfiguration
exists in IPv6 and maybe we dont need this function in our interface.
But we still need it for DNS, so here is the way I feel:

* adding a class IP6 for managing ipv6 (using pear's function Net::IPv6)
* for every table which contains ipv4 in maintain's database, adding
it's equivalent in ipv6 (ip_blocks, ranges,...) and adding fields for
ipv4 in hosts, pointer, etc...
* adding in the templates a field to add ipv6 range, ipv6 in host
creation, using the IP6 class and the new tables
* adding management of ipv6 hosts and subnets in maintain code :)

--
Yves-Alexis Perez
CRI - Université de Rennes 1