[Maintain] Dynamic pools in Maintain 2.4.2RC2

Greg Connor gconnor at sgi.com
Fri Aug 5 08:35:57 PDT 2005

> Hi Greg,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> As suggested, I modified the show_range.inc file to reflect the new behaviour
> and I modified the Maintain.pm file in the following way:

[...]

> The only problem is that now I have to replicate dhcp options in the subnet that
> previously were only in the group block.

I am working on a patch that associates subnets with workgroups, so that you
can configure many subnets to share the same options.  Before applying this,
we had the same issue... I would prefer to have minimal options at the subnet
level (i.e. only "routers") and configure many groups of subnets together for
purposes of dns, netbios, etc.  In the default Maintain 2.4.2 the workgroups
only apply to hosts.

The patch is pretty much ready to be tested by others.  Are you interested in
getting a copy of this?  I was planning to send it to the list some time next
week.

Note that the patch also changes config files around to support more than two
DHCP servers, and multiple failover peers.  You can just ignore that part and
continue to use "dhcp" as the failover peer if you want, and you would still
get the workgroup/subnet benefits.

Patch description: Overview

The first issue I need to address is that we intend to have 4 dhcp servers,
one primary, and three secondaries, corresponding to the different regions.
ISC dhcpd supports multiple secondaries, but it's kind of a pain... you
have to change 'failover peer "dhcp"' to some specific name that matches
one of the failover stanzas in the peer file.  And, you have to split up
the data file so that each server only sees the subnets assigned to it, and
cannot see subnet declarations if it is neither primary nor secondary.

The second issue I wanted to address is that I wanted to have meaningful
dhcp options at the "workgroup" level, and apply them to various subnets.
This is so that configuring all the subnets in a region to be alike will be
much easier -- each subnet does not need its own domain name servers,
netbios servers, etc.  The common options for the region would be in the
workgroup, and the subnet only needs the settings that are specific to one
subnet (usually the router only).