[Maintain] First time user questions

Brandon Philips brandon at osuosl.org
Tue Mar 29 10:57:59 PST 2005

Keith,

> Hi, I haven't seen anything on the list either.

Looks like we are starting something ;-)

> I was mainly curious about the use of Maintain in similar fashion to
> NetReg?  Anyone have any thoughts on a forced-registration system with
> Maintain?

Maintain is used here at OSU to do registration of unknown hosts in the
dorms.  Basically what you have to do is have a pool for unknown clients
that gives them a DNS server that only has an entry for the registration
server.

The problem with this sort of system is that people can easy side-step
it by setting a static IP, so some type of firewall solution would be
better.

Thoughts?

-bp

--
Brandon Philips
brandon at osuosl.org
"Open minds. Open doors. Open source." - osuosl.org