[Maintain] Comments on INSTALL

Greg Connor gconnor at sgi.com
Tue Mar 29 11:25:52 PST 2005

Edited version attached.  Here are a couple of the suggested changes
explained...  pretty minor stuff...

44a45,51
>               [ Installation ]
>
>               There is currently no build or install script.  The tarfile
>               containing the distribution should be extracted where you
>               would like Maintain to be installed (we recommend extracting
>               into /data/maintain/)

Added this to clarify the "install" :)

77c85,86
<               initial setup we recommend leaving all modules disabled.
---
>               initial setup we recommend leaving all modules disabled (i.e.
>               defined with "enabled" set to 0.)

Minor clarification

80,83c89,91
<               DocumentRoot.
---
>               DocumentRoot, or if maintain is going to be a subdirectory,
>               make a symlink from your current document root that points
>               to the "docs" directory.

This seemed to work in my case... probably this is more relevant for a test
server (where the URL might be http://server/maintain/ instead of at the top
level).  For production uses, it will probably be at the top level of the
webserver (or at least a virtual host)

<               5) Go into $prefix/bin and update any scripts you are planning
<               on using Look for my  = CHANGEME;

I skipped this... I couldn't find anything that said CHANGEME and I haven't
had to change anything in bin/ yet...

88,89c96,97
<               templates/dhcp/dhcpd.conf.header.dist to
<               templates/dhcp/dhcpd.conf.header and update it.
---
>               build/templates/dhcp/dhcpd.conf.header.dist to
>               build/templates/dhcp/dhcpd.conf.header and update it.

Makes it clearer that we are talking about build/templates and not
maintain/templates.

91c99,100
<               7) Run perl $prefix/lib/perl/Local/Maintain/Makefile.PL
---
>               6) cd to  $prefix/lib/perl/Local/Maintain/.  From there,
>               run 'perl ./Makefile.PL'

cd seemed to be required for this step

--
Greg Connor <gconnor at sgi.com>