[Maintain] Implementing IPv6 under maintain

Yves-Alexis Perez yves-alexis.perez at univ-rennes1.fr
Mon May 2 06:37:56 PDT 2005

Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> Brandon Philips wrote:
>
>>Yves-Alexis-
>>

>>>So I'll try to implement it myself, and I'd like to know if, before I
>>>start, there are something I need to know, some mistakes no to do in
>>>Maintain's code, and some help you could provide me.
>>

>>Keep the list updated with patches and the status of the project, and I
>>will try them out once and awhile and help you with any problem.
>>
>>And feel free to ask questions as you run into problems.
>>
>>Best Wishes,
>>
>>Brandon

Well, I'm running into problems :) An ipv6 uses 128 bits, and in MySQL
the maximum for an integer is the BIGINT field, which uses 64 bits. I
could use 2 BIGINT for an ipv6, but I dont see how to manage
compatibility with ipv4.

Using two tables for each type (pointer/pointer6, range/range6,
ip_block/ip_block6, ...) is a bad idea imho, so I would use the same
tables and same fields. I think there is no "inet" type in MySQL, so how
would you use mysql with IPv6 ?

--
Yves-Alexis Perez
CRI - Université de Rennes 1