[Maintain] question re: subnets and ranges

Leslie S Arvin arvin at purdue.edu
Wed May 4 11:01:50 PDT 2005

I think I have figured out what was going on.

I believe the issue was that I tried to create an IP Range without first
defining a Subnet in which that IP Range would fit.  It appears that one
must first define an IP Block, then define a Subnet within an IP Block,
and then define an IP Range within the Subnet, then assign the IP Range
to a Zone and a default _domain.  Correct?  So naturally when I would try
to create an IP Range without creating a Subnet for that range, I would
get an error message and couldn't create the IP Range.

My initial question and confusion regarding Subnets and IP Ranges was because
I was tickling an apparent bug in Maintain 2.4.2-RC2.  When I tried to create
an IP Range 128.210.3.11-254 without defining a Subnet that encompasses that
range first, I was not allowed to create the IP Range.  But once I created
the Subnet for 128.210.3.0/24, I could create the IP Range.

However, when I then created an IP Range for 128.210.*4*.11-254 without
creating Subnet 128.210.*4*.0/24, Maintain incorrectly allowed me to create
this IP Range and assigned it to 128.210.*3*.0/24 because it appears to only
compare the IP Range to the start IP of the Subnet when it checks for IP Range
validity.  So this behavior confused me regarding how Subnets and IP Ranges
are interdependent.  I didn't understand why one IP Range appeared to require
prior Subnet creation and another IP Range did not.

So the real issue was that I could not create an IP Range without creating
first a Subnet, and verifying that this is the correct behavior for Maintain.
I had been assuming that the Subnet table was only used for DHCP and since we
are not yet implementing DHCP in Maintain, I didn't need to define Subnets
in Maintain.  I now see this assumption was incorrect.  Which means I should
update my Visio diagram of the Maintain database.

Thanks for your help!

-- Leslie Arvin
    arvin at purdue.edu, Office: MATH B60-D, Phone: 765-49-63971
    Systems Administrator, ITI-Networks
    Purdue University, Information Technology at Purdue