[Maintain] Next version

Danny Robert robert at osuosl.org
Thu Feb 2 20:11:19 PST 2006

Over the past year, we have been working hard on a new Maintain release
(currently slated as version 3).  While this new version is an almost
complete rewrite, it provides very little in the way of new features and
functionality to the end user.  Among the most significant changes will be:

* A full PHP implementation for both front- and back-end (no more perl)
* A modular design so that features can be installed/removed/activated
independently of each other (for example, to use Maintain for DNS only,
you would enable the DNS module, but disable the DHCP module).
* More command-line utilities, such as a database-backup utility.
Because of the new command-line and modules interfaces, more tools will
be released because of the relative simplicity.
* A more detailed and configurable logging feature, so that
administrators can choose what changes in their system to keep track of
(right now only host changes are stored...the new version should support
zone changes, ranges, hosts, cnames, etc.)
* A cleaner, more easily skinnable user interface for web users.

We are hoping to have a release for Maintain 3 by early this summer, and
a release including ports of all the existing modules by late summer.
In the meantime, we are happy to help out with any problems or questions
you have regarding Maintain 2.4.

Good luck,
-Danny Robert
danny at osuosl.org