[Maintain] Error updating dhcp

Brad Morgan morgabra at osuosl.org
Tue Oct 9 21:08:52 UTC 2007

On 10/9/07, Nielson, Adam <adam.nielson at hp.com> wrote:
> If I run /opt/maintain-3.1.0/bin/build/check-dhcp I get:
>
>  ./check-dhcp
> PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function:  getmodulebyname() in /opt/maintain-3.1.0/bin/build/check-dhcp on line 48
>
> Any ideas?

getmodulebyname() is a deprecated function that I guess someone forgot
to fix the in check-dhcp and check-dns scripts. Because we had moved
everything into modules we needed to go back and update these scripts.
I'll fix that up and push those changes out soon.

Unfortunately our nightly snapshots aren't pushing to our website at
the moment and so I'll work on getting those back up. In the meantime
feel free to pull down the newest version from SVN, or if you would
like I can just send you the patches in the meantime.

> Build_dhcp shouldn't be a module I have to manually install and enable?  It's a backend module...

Yes and no. I suppose there is no reason that the modules can't be
installed by default so they show up in the UI and whatnot. However
these modules can't be enabled because they require a bit of
configuration in order to work.

This should be better explained in the documentation for sure... I'll
file a bug on this one.

> Also, since I am still having issues creating a subnet, why cant I manually edit the dhcpd.conf file and force maintain to read and utilize it?  I have maintain creating the /build/dhcpd.conf.data file, and a manual cron job copying it to /etc/dhcpd.conf...

Maintain builds all of the DHCP and DNS config files using the data
out of it's database. In general, the idea is that you (or other
users) can configure and "maintain" everything pertaining to your
network through Maintain's UI, and then automatically have it build
DHCP and/or DNS config files and push them to your servers for you.

Currently Maintain can't work the other way, (ie Read in a config file
and then allow you to change it or populate the database for you)
although this would admittedly be sexy and useful. :)

Generally, in order for Maintain to work as intended, you have to do
the following:
1) Install. You will create an admin user and your first zone in the
install process.
2) Go to the "Admin" link on the left side.
3) Create an IP Block. For testing purposes just make one from
10.0.0.0 to 10.0.0.255.
subnet 10.0.0.0 and the netmask 255.255.255.0. This then will create a
subnet with the address space 10.0.0.0 - 10.0.0.255.
5) If this doesn't work, then you've found a bug and we can start to
debug that. But I suspect that you might have just been setting your
netmask incorrectly. (For example, if you specified the IP Block
10.0.0.1 - 10.0.0.255, and then tried setting the subnet at 10.0.0.1
with a netmask of 255.255.255.0, Maintain would complain as the
netmask specified actually contains addresses outside of the IP block,
namely 10.0.0.0, which is a no-no.)

Give that test a try and if you are still having problems hit up the
list again and we will get it taken care of.

> Any suggestions on the check-dhcp issue or anything else?

If you are having any problems at all just let us know or feel free to
file bug reports at http://bugs.osuosl.org .

--
Brad Morgan
Maintain Developer