[Maintain] Error updating dhcp

Josh Schonstal schonstal at osuosl.org
Thu Oct 11 17:22:34 UTC 2007

Brad Morgan wrote:
> Yes and no. I suppose there is no reason that the modules can't be
> installed by default so they show up in the UI and whatnot. However
> these modules can't be enabled because they require a bit of
> configuration in order to work.

I believe the reason they are not installed by default is because they
are backend modules, but not core modules.  This means that anyone who
is using Maintain may not necessarily want to use it for dhcp or dns
(though I don't really know why you wouldn't want to at this point).  In
theory, you should be able to chose the backend modules you want to use,
and when there is a case in which there are multiple modules to chose
from (ie a djb module and a bind module for dns) you won't want one
installed by default because there are multiple modules to chose from.

Really, I think it should be alright to have the default dns and dhcp
modules installed by default; then we could make it necessary for them
to be enabled (and they would show up in the UI).  Then the user could
chose to enable it if they would like, or they could install an
alternate backend module and they would be able to enable that one
instead.  This would allow easier use in the default case; however, this
also means that if you don't want the default modules around and you
want exclusively your custom/alternate modules installed, you would have
to uninstall the modules that are installed by default.