[Maintain] Help with creating a new subnet...

Dawn Keenan dkeenan at ist.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Sep 25 17:56:30 UTC 2007

Nielson, Adam wrote:
> Great application guys, I got it all set up and working. (after hassles with SELinux)
>
> Now I have maintain up, I am able to create a IP Block. (say: x.y.a.10 through x.y.c.250) without issue.
> When I go to create a new subnet, I run into issues.
>
> If I try to make the subnet x.y.a.1, with a proper subnet, I get an error, "Subnet - You have specified a subnet inside of an IP block that has not been created or enabled yet"
>
> Ok, makes sense.
>
> However, if I try and create it as x.y.a.10, or x.y.a.11 or anything within the .10 to .250 range, I get, "Subnet - You have specified a subnet inside of an IP block that has not been created yet"
>
> What am I doing wrong?  I am making sure the IP block is enabled.  There is a workgroup up, I cannot create an IP Range until I have a subnet, I have a domain up, etc.

Think of an IP Block as a block of network addresses assigned by ARIN or
the like.  Every Subnet you define should fit completely inside an IP
Block, and every IP Range should fit completely inside a Subnet.

You may find the documentation I wrote when UW moved to Maintain 2.x of
some value:  http://nsbuild.uwaterloo.ca/doc/.  There are some localisms
(e.g. like some others, we changed a few field names to reflect what's
important for us to track) and it doesn't cover differences in version
3, to which we can't upgrade until several of the current known bugs are
fixed or have workarounds in place.

--
Dawn Keenan
Information Systems and Technology, University of Waterloo, Waterloo ON