[Maintain] Importing rDNS pointers

Kevin Purdy purdyk at net.oregonstate.edu
Wed Jul 30 18:03:08 UTC 2008

The bind module will automatically build reverse pointers for all static hosts, and will additionally print out reverse pointers in the db.
The tiny module does not build reverse pointers as far as I know.  I'll have a look at the import script and see about fixing the pointesrs issue.

Fox, Sam P wrote:
> Hello Kevin,
>
> Thanks for the prompt reply!
>
> We're using $GENERATE 1-254 $       PTR
> xxx-xxx-xxx-$.bendbroadband.com. to generate rDNS for our dynamic zones.
> However, we have a lot of static zones and need to update rDNS for hosts
> such as mailservers etc.
>
> We're looking at using tinyDNS with Maintain, but our import using the
> Import BIND module didn't import any of our pointers.  At OSU, do you
> have to add a host and then add the pointer or did you automate it
> somehow?  When I worked there, we were still editing zone files manually
> :)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Sam Fox

Kevin Purdy * Security Student
Network Engineering * Oregon State University