[Maintain] Static IP range works but after split to create new dynamic range, it wont vend dynamic IPs

Petersen, Kirsten J - NET Kirsten.Petersen at oregonstate.edu
Fri Jan 23 20:56:18 UTC 2009

Hmm.... where is the pool statement?  I expected to see something like
this:

subnet 128.193.212.0 netmask 255.255.254.0 {
	option subnet-mask 255.255.254.0;
	option routers 128.193.212.1;
	pool {
		failover peer "dhcp";
		deny dynamic bootp clients;
		allow members of
"zone.foo:128.193.213.1:128.193.213.244";
		range 128.193.213.1 128.193.213.244;
	}
}

If there is no pool statement, it won't hand out any dynamic leases.

Also, what type of dynamic range do you want?  Do you want to allow any
host, or only hosts registered in Maintain, or only hosts assigned to
that dynamic range?  In the range configuration page in Maintain, you
have the following options (under "Allow"):

Hosts in this range  - only hosts assigned to the dynamic range
Any Host - any host  ( I think the global deny will trump this)
Any registered host - any host in your Maintain
Any unregistered host - any host not in your Maintain (explicitly denies
known hosts)

Lastly, what do the dhcp logs show when the client does a discover?

Kirsten Petersen
Network Services * Oregon State University
http://oregonstate.edu/net * irc.oregonstate.edu #osu-is
"We may have all come on different ships, but we're all in the same boat
now."
 -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.