[peeragogy-handbook] Motivation

Joe Corneli joseph.corneli at hyperreal.enterprises
Thu Jan 7 18:59:04 UTC 2021

FOCUS

One place where we were hit with the the ton-of-bricks criticism:

 “Is this about the Peeragogy project or about the reader”?

It occurs to me that helping the reader articulate their motivation(s)
suggests a Workbook or Mini-Handbook presentation.

  “Answer some basic questions about your motivation and the motivation
  of your peers. Learn how to keep peer learners motivated.” - Roland
  Legrand

*Somewhere* in the book we should explain the motivation/purpose of the
peeragogy project, but let’s not confuse *our* motivations with those of
readers...

Thinking in terms of patterns, ‘motivation’ seems linked with the
Peeragogy pattern: what context are we working in when we find and get
interested in peeragogy as a solution?

CONVENING A GROUP: EARLY CHAPTER

If we were to drop people into a “cold open” and skip any introduction
or framing, it seems possible that we could just begin with Convening a
Group!  That’s an unlikely strategy, BUT nevertheless, the basic outline
of the book (following a similar template to the PAR).  Thinking again
in pattern terms, ‘motivation’ relates to the concept of ‘forces’.

- convening
- organizing
- cooperating
- assessment
- share

HELP NEEDED:

“Convening a group” seems to be a topic of some perplexity.

What’s the group about? Recently I’ve seem some discussion of ‘Quests’?
(Which brings to mind collecting gold and magical items and levelling
up...)  More straightforwardly, there’s the language of ‘projects’, but
that doesn’t seem to apply all the time either.

But, sticking with that theme for the moment: do we imagine people
‘shopping around’ for projects, or looking around for other people to
help out with their own project?

Is the ‘population’ of available projects/people important, or the
clarity of description of each individual project?  Or, is it perhaps
the *relationship* between different projects that matters?

Maybe one way through this thicket is to make a better survey of the
real occasions in which people convene groups (e.g., with reference to
our case studies... or maybe we also want to build a collection/database
of micro-Case Studies, matching the concept of micro-Handbooks).

RECIPES

We’re again back to the Workbook idea.  One theory is that we’re not so
much choosing from a menu as helping people write their own recipes.

Let’s consider that anyone can write a simple recipe.  Of course, we can
share some examples!  But the more interesting teaching-a-man-to-fish
move is to help people think about recipes.  I think we likely want to
move to this level quickly.

MOOCs: USE CASE

One of the most frequent places in which "Peeragogy" has been cited so
far in secondary literature is in works about MOOCs.  We could look at
*their* motivations. Some details in the lit review:
http://bit.ly/2Cgrrzd

SAMPLE ANSWERS

Someone came up with these examples:

    Joe: My motivation is X

    Ray: My motivation is Y

    Charlotte: I’d like to get some complex sh*t done, stuff I know I can’t accomplish alone in a reasonable time frame.

    Person 4: I just like working with other people

    Person 5: Collaborators keep me accountable

--
Dr Joseph A. Corneli (https://github.com/holtzermann17)

HYPERREAL ENTERPRISES LTD is a private company limited by shares, incorporated
25th, June 2019 as Company Number 634284 on the Register of Companies for
Scotland (https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/SC634284).