[peeragogy-handbook] Peeragogy Handbook 4 Production Update - May 2021

Contact Mr. Danoff's Teaching Laboratory contact at mr.danoff.org
Tue Jun 1 02:13:01 UTC 2021

== Short Summary of Long Email ==

We're 20%-ish done with the fourth Handbook, have meetings coming in June
you should attend, and have a lot of finished writing to fold into our new
Handbook!

== Start of Long Email ==

Howdy, Peeragogues!

You may have been wondering, what's the status of producing the fourth
Handbook?

In that case, this email is for you!

Let me start by thanking those who attended any of our seven meetings this
year! Also gracias to those who’ve contributed asynchronously thus far to
the 4th Edition/Version of the Handbook!

The sections below give an overview of what’s planned next and what’s
happened.

Our goal is to produce something bold, fresh and new with the new handbook
versus just an update of existing content. We're drawing inspiration from
existing texts: the Whole Earth Catalog (as suggested by Charlotte), "A
Lover's Discourse: Fragments" (Hermano), and "The Lost Tetrads of Marshall
McLuhan" (Joe).

Do you have any additional books (or other media) we should look to for
inspiration?

== Contact Info ==

If you have any questions or comments about this email or peeragogy in
general, please use one of the contact options below to reach out:

- Preferred: Message us on Zulip -

https://zulip.metameso.org/login/

Note, you will have to register for a free account to chat.

- Tweet us -

https://twitter.com/peeragogy

- Email our Mailing List -

peeragogy at googlegroups.com

- Email us -

peeragogy at googlegroups.com

== Upcoming ==

If you want to be join a meeting, please use the Google Calendar links
below or visit the Jitsi meeting link at the dates and times specified

https://meet.jit.si/peeragogy

Tuesday the 8th from 8 to 8:30 AM USA Central Daylight Time

https://calendar.google.com/calendar/event?eid=MzUzYTNnMTRvZHNtZjdvbjZ0amUycHFsMmIgM2lxNDFvZHBuODVzNTFtZW04Y2dla21vbmdAZw&ctz=GMT-05:00

Thursday the 24th from 6 to 6:30 PM USA CDT

https://calendar.google.com/calendar/event?eid=MGFsaXI5aXZrczF0YWtnYnJmMm9kMmJ0OWYgM2lxNDFvZHBuODVzNTFtZW04Y2dla21vbmdAZw&ctz=GMT-05:00

There is also the weekly general peeragogy meeting where some Handbook
items may be discussed every Thursday morning at 8 AM USA CDT / UTC. The
next one is on June 3rd

https://calendar.google.com/calendar/event?eid=YWo1amNobm1lb2M3cnFzbTBpc3ZrdGQ5MmlfMjAyMTA2MDNUMTMwMDAwWiAzaXE0MW9kcG44NXM1MW1lbThjZ2VrbW9uZ0Bn&ctz=GMT-05:00

This is the info for the subsequent one on June 10th

https://calendar.google.com/calendar/event?eid=YWo1amNobm1lb2M3cnFzbTBpc3ZrdGQ5MmlfMjAyMTA2MTBUMTMwMDAwWiAzaXE0MW9kcG44NXM1MW1lbThjZ2VrbW9uZ0Bn&ctz=GMT-05:00

Stay tuned for more meeting details, including some multi-hour long hive
editing sessions!

== Production Timing ==

In my opinion we are roughly 20% done with the new version.

Our goal was to complete writing by the end of the 3rd quarter. That way we
could use the 4th quarter for marketing plus some finishing touches and be
much more likely to be totally ready to publish on Public Domain Day 2022
on January 1st.

Per my time zone, we have 123-ish days until Thursday, September 30, 2021.
So we have some work to do and I'm excited! :-)

Something to consider as we're working is a challenge we posed to ourselves
in 2013 as we reflected on making the first handbook:

"We presented an overview of the Peeragogy project. The paper serves as a
sort of balance sheet, or possibly a treasure map. We and others can use
the Peeragogy patterns we have describe here to help understand where time
and effort goes in a peer learning project, and where the big rewards lie.
Future work could go extend our qualitative research with a hard look at
the data gathered as we developed the Peeragogy Handbook."

http://www.metisjournal.it/metis/anno-iii-numero-1-giugno-2013-formare-tra-scienza-tecnica-tecnologia-temi/99-saggi/490-roadmaps-in-peer-learning.html

Does anyone have suggestions for how we can gather data as we develop the
fourth edition?

== Current Roles ==

- Publisher & Publicist -

* Charlotte

- Authors -

* Lisa
* Howard
* Vitor

- Editor(s) -

* Joe

- Production Manager(s) -

* Charlie

- Apprentices -

* Graziano

- Bystanders -

* Hermano
* Ray

- Contributions from -

Peeragogues from versions 1 to 3

== Location of Current Draft ==

An editable version of HTML e-book table of contents/peeragogy project
landing page is at

https://github.com/Peeragogy/Peeragogy.github.io/blob/main/src/index.org

And live right now

https://peeragogy.org/

== Finished Writing to Fold In ==

- Lisa -

Introduction
https://authorlisasnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Understanding-Peeragogy-to-Maximize-Resources-and-Efficiencies.pdf

Peer-to-Peer Learning in Unusual Places
https://snowinla.medium.com/peer-to-peer-learning-in-unusual-places-7978c1d5b6ef

- Howard -

Annotation, Curation, Social Bookmarking
https://www.patreon.com/posts/annotation-17320879

Concept Mapping & Mindmapping
https://www.patreon.com/posts/concept-mapping-15313656

Curation
https://www.patreon.com/posts/curation-15467861

Toward A Social Media Classroom
https://www.patreon.com/posts/21936041

Also in 2019 Howard Rheingold wrote three about peeragogy and a new culture
of learning:

(1)
https://www.patreon.com/posts/peeragogy-and-of-24709239

(2)
https://www.patreon.com/posts/peeragogy-new-of-24935041

(3)
https://www.patreon.com/posts/peeragogy-new-of-25136096

- Group -

Patterns, anticipation and participatory futures
https://arxiv.org/pdf/2012.03736.pdf

A Fictional Peeragogical AnticipatoryLearning Exploration
http://anticipationconference.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Anticipation_2019_paper_113.pdf

2020 Community Guidelines
https://lists.peeragogy.org/pipermail/peeragogy-handbook/Week-of-Mon-20201130/000001.html

2020 Peeragogy Starter Pack
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1w2JZhpkrYYKknpJSSJgz23PPYxI31Cu1eWvw8I9ZraM/edit?usp=sharing

Choose Your Own Peeragogical Fortune: Co-learning over the long-term
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1m5TLgch2S9-hNClrYoKEBjhuhYV4u8Zm-nG75e3bAIk/edit

PDF
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3cDsp8xYZafNTBCM3ItejVXbFpmYTdGTzI4RHhkc3VEcXVn/view?usp=sharing

2020 April to September Wrap
https://github.com/Peeragogy/Peeragogy.github.io/wiki/Monthly-Wrap:-April-to-September-2020

2018 Holidaze Wrap
https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/User:Charles_Jeffrey_Danoff/Peeragogy_2018_Holidaze_Meeting_Notes

Action and Change in Peer Learning
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EW_spwnA-hJSf6yiRGKhpe6JwfHCNENu0mj1SPc8dtA/edit#

== Planned Writing ==

The peers below have volunteered to write the following for the 4th
handbook:

- Joe -

* Poetic remix of Roadmap, Patterns of Peeragogy, and Chapter Summaries
* "Carrying Capacity" pattern revision
* Peer mentoring
* Peril and potentials in collaboration

- Charlotte -

* Community-based movements in NEPAL (ManuMitra, Gadhimai, Dalla)
* Rowing Podcast
* "Reduce and Reuse" pattern revision

- Charlie -

* Follow-up reflections on 2019 Anticipation Conference
* "Scrapbook" pattern revision

== Handbook Production Resources ==

Colophon
https://peeragogy.org/peeragogy_handbook_v4

Plans for handbook on rows 18 to 24 of the Action Plan
http://bit.ly/peeragogy-action-plan

4 Roadmap & Outline
https://tinyurl.com/y3pkdsyb

Joe has also been compiling a list of tasks in org mode.

== Handbook Meetings This Year  ==

- Unpublished Minutes -

MEETING SIX 30 MARCH 2021

Cf. Project Action Review (PAR) for the meeting
https://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/peeragogy-handbook/Week-of-Mon-20210329/000041.html

Attendees
* Hermano
* Joe
* Ray
* Charlie

Notes
* We thought it may be best to use org mode as the official source version
going forward. People do not have to actually write in org mode, but the
version that will make the HTML e-book will be written there. Does anyone
have any concerns?
* We want to keep a focus on: SPREAD TASKS THIN NOT PEOPLE
* We discussed using the Google Group for general peeragogy discussions and
the Mailman list just for the Handbook. What do you think of that?
* We also discussed focusing

MEETING FIVE 16 MAR 2021

Attendees
* Lisa
* Charlotte
* Ray
* Charlie

Volunteers to Rewrite Patterns
* Joe - Carrying Capacity
* Charlotte - Reduce and reuse
* Charlie - Scrapbook

Notes

We discussed how we want to develop patterns that can be used to solve
problems to help people. Questions we should ask along the way:

Does a pattern work in this situation?
Would it also symbolically work in another organization?
How flexible are our patterns?
Can readers adapt them to their situation?

We should have both examples of where it's been successful and where it's
been not. We also discussed putting some of our patterns inside the "brain"
software? So it's modifiable as we go? How can we make our patterns
interoperable with that software and others?

You can read more about the "brain" software
https://www.jerrysbrain.com/welcome

We discussed how that software is one approach to a problem and challenge
of life, moving all these details in a productive direction, not losing
them. We want to keep all these ideas in mind as we try to think about what
format we want the book to be in and think of formats that it ends up in.
How can we create a book that is easily changeable? People go to work on
it, put out another one?

MEETING FOUR 5 MAR 2021

Attendees
* Vitor
* Lisa
* Charlie

Notes

We talked about patterns and how they are most useful when you're trying to
solve a problem. For example, the wrapper pattern is solving the problem:
walk away from meetings with a specific to-do or answer that's later
forgotten. The wrapper pattern addresses that with digestible notes people
can use later.

Another problem is new people come in and don't know what to do. There is a
certain chaos and conflict to trying to get up to speed. It also relates to
one of the difficult natures of peer 2 peer endeavours, there is
frustration about the way to do things. That can be healthy, it can get you
the best stuff and that is how it should be used to get you the best stuff.
Other times it can be unhealthy, and maybe one person needs to be removed.
These nuances we discussed can be used to improve and evolve our newcomer
pattern.

- More Meeting Minutes -

MEETING THREE 13 FEBRUARY 2021
https://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/peeragogy-handbook/Week-of-Mon-20210301/000032.html

MEETING TWO 4 FEB 2021
https://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/peeragogy-handbook/Week-of-Mon-20210208/000030.html

MEETING ONE 30 JANUARY 2021
https://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/peeragogy-handbook/Week-of-Mon-20210201/000028.html

MEETING ZERO 28 JAN 2021
https://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/peeragogy-handbook/Week-of-Mon-20210125/000025.html

== Open Roles and Functions ==

If you're interested in volunteering to do something on the list below or
something else for version 4, please reach out! Thanks to Charlotte for
sharing the functions!

- ISBN Functions -

Original Author
Original Editor
Contribution by
Text by
Artist
Illustrator
Read by
Research by
Retold by
Reviewed by
Revised by
Translator
Abridged by
Adapted by
Afterword by
Animated by
Annotations by
Appendix by
Arranged by
Arranged by (music)
As told by
As told to
Assisted by
Associate Editor
Based on a book by
Based on a comic strip by
Based on a movie by
Based on a musical by
Based on a novel by
Based on a play by
Based on a poem by
Based on a story by
Based on a teleplay by
Based on a work by
Based on an opera by
Book and Lyrics by
Book and Lyrics by
By (photographer)
Characters created by
Choreography by
Colorist (comics)
Comic Script by
Commentaries by
Compiled by
Composed by
Concept by
Conducted by
Consultant Editor
Continued by
Cover Design by
Created by
Curated by
Dancer
Demonstrated by
Designed by
Directed By
Dramatized by
Drawings by
Edited and Translated by
Editor (film or video)
Editor-In-Chief
Editorial Board Member
Editorial Coordinator
Engineer
Epilogue by
Executive Producer
Experiments by
Featuring
Filmed by
Footnotes by
Foreword by
Founded by
General Editor
General Rapporteur
Guest Editor
Historical advisor
Honored or dedicated to
Hosted by
Index by
Inked or colored by
Inker (comics)
Instructed by
Instrumental Soloist
Interviewed By
Interviewee
Interviewer
Intro and Notes by
Introduction by
Introductions and notes by
Letterer (comics)
Libretto by
Literary editor
Lyrics by
Managing editor
Maps by
Memoir by
Moderated by
Music by
Narrated by
Non-text material selected by
Notes by
Other
(various roles)
Other Adaptation by
Other Direction by
Other Primary Creator
Other Recording by
Other compilation by
Performed by
Performed by
Performed by Musical Group
Photographer
Pop-ups by
Preface by
Preliminary Work by
Prepared for Publication by
Presented by
Produced by
Prologue by
Scientific editor
Score by
Screenplay by
Selected by
Series edited by
Software by
Speaker
Summary by
Supplement by
Technical editor
Thesis advisor or supervisor
Thesis examiner
Transcribed by
Translated with commentary by
Voice by
Volume Editor

We had an earlier listing of open roles. Some of those overlapped with the
ISBN functions above, and those have been removed.

- Additional Role Openings -

Peeragogues
Marketer(s)
Publicist(s)
Bystander(s)
Apprentice(s)
Production Manager(s)

Thanks for reading this long email! I'm excited about continuing to work
towards the fourth Handbook!

- Charlie