[powerci-announce] Improvements to Jenkins+Docker integration

Lance Albertson lance at osuosl.org
Fri May 3 20:47:42 UTC 2019

All,

I wanted to announce that we've deployed a new method for running your CI
jobs on our Jenkins environment. We've installed the Docker Custom Build
Environment [0] plugin and configured our docker nodes to properly use the
plugin. This will allow you as users to deploy any image you would like
without the OSL needing to configure the image on the admin panel. This
also gives you a lot more flexibility in how you can use the system
hopefully. In addition, this should help resolve load balancing issues we
currently have with the current setup.

We've created new documentation [1] describing how to use the plugin and
interact with our system. We've redeployed our docker nodes so that two are
POWER8 and the other two are POWER9. You can select which one by using the
'power8' or 'power9' label. We are still maintaining the same docker images
if you'd prefer to use them. If you want to use your own images, please
read the documentation on what changes you need to make to ensure it works
correctly.

Currently, this change is only for users of the CPU system. For users on
the GPU system, we're in the process of migrating to using the same method
which should hopefully be ready in a few weeks. The new system will
completely bypass needing to go through SGE for submitting jobs and will
run directly via docker and Jenkins.

We would like everyone with CPU jobs to migrate to using this plugin ASAP.
After May 17th, we will migrate the remaining jobs over to the new system
and ensure that those jobs are still working. We will be deprecating the
previous docker system by the end of May. I've also updated the example
"test" jobs if you would like to see how they work.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

[0] https://plugins.jenkins.io/docker-custom-build-environment
[1] https://wiki.osuosl.org/powerci/docker.html

--
Lance Albertson