[powerdev-hosting] Low download speeds on OSU CI VMs

Smita Bodepudi bsmita at us.ibm.com
Wed May 10 18:07:08 UTC 2017

Hi All,

Our Blockchain builds on our CI systems are taking very long time compared
to other platforms, so we are
investigating where the bottleneck is. One observation we made is the
problem with download speed on these Power nodes.
|------------------------------------+------------------------------------|
|IP                                  |Download speed                      |
|------------------------------------+------------------------------------|
|Power: 140.211.168.107              |3.83 Mbit/s                         |
|------------------------------------+------------------------------------|
|Power: 140.211.168.178              |5.16 Mbit/s                         |
|------------------------------------+------------------------------------|
|Power: 140.211.168.157              |3.24 Mbit/s                         |
|------------------------------------+------------------------------------|
|Power: 140.211.168.108              |3.81 Mbit/s                         |
|------------------------------------+------------------------------------|
|                                    |                                    |
|------------------------------------+------------------------------------|
|                                    |                                    |
|------------------------------------+------------------------------------|
|Our lab Power systems:              | 315.08 Mbit/s                      |
|------------------------------------+------------------------------------|
|                                    |263.75 Mbit/s                       |
|------------------------------------+------------------------------------|
|                                    |                                    |
|------------------------------------+------------------------------------|
|x86                                 |226.54 Mbit/s                       |
|------------------------------------+------------------------------------|
|s390x(Z)                            |326.61 Mbit/s                       |
|------------------------------------+------------------------------------|

Our builds are taking the longest of all the three platforms.
Z build: 45-50min
x86 build: 80-100min
Power: 120-130min

We are trying to see if slow network download speed could be one of the
issues. Please check and let us know.

Regards,
Smita.

Smita Bodepudi