[osuosl-powerdev] Upcoming hardware changes

Lance Albertson lance at osuosl.org
Mon Oct 8 22:40:53 UTC 2007

Hey all-

I wanted to update you on some upcoming changes that will be happening
with the OSL Powerdev systems. We have recently received new hardware
from IBM and I'm in the process of getting them setup. I haven't updated
the website yet (it needs updated badly), but here is the type of
hardware we've got:

 * IBM p550 Power5 9133-55
   4 x dual-core POWER5+ 1.9Ghz
   8G RAM
   8 x 73G SCSI HD's in RAID5
   Gentoo Linux PPC64

 * IBM QS20 Cell Broadband Engine Blade (3 blades)
   2 x dual-core Cell BE 0200-250
   1G RAM
   1 x 36G IDE (laptop) HD
   Gentoo Linux PPC64

I'm currently working on setting two of the blades and the p550 up as an
open development machine much like the op720/ppc64 is setup. We'll
finally be managing these machines in a sane manner using our cfengine
setup, so it will make things a lot easier for us to maintain in the
future. I'm going to need to send the current op720 back to IBM by the
beginning of November so I'm working as fast as I can to get these
machines up.

Since the op720 (cottonwood) had so many inactive accounts I decided to
look at the last active accounts on it from the last 365 days. That
equates to about 50 user accounts (which is about how many are on this
list). For now I'm not planning on moving your home directory over by
hand mainly because

 1) Many of the *rc files might conflict with Gentoo's setup
 2) Several of you have large home directories, so this is a nice way to
    clean it up if people aren't actually using them.

I will however try and get things setup soon so that you can manually
copy anything you want over. I'll definitely be keeping a backup of the
home directories after cottonwood gets shipped back and people can send
an email to support to get their files out of it.

Thats it for now, but I'll be sending another email in the next few days
detailing a few questions I have about your needs on the new machine and
anything we can do to help improve your developing experience on these
platforms.

Thats it for now, but I'll be sending another email in the next few days
detailing a few questions I have about your needs on the new machine and
anything we can do to help improve your developing experience on these
platforms.

Cheers!

--
Lance Albertson                                    lance <at> osuosl.org
Systems Administrator / Architect                        Open Source Lab