[osuosl-powerdev] Anyone tell IBM that other OpenPower sites are gone?

Gareth Randall gareth.randall at virgin.net
Sun Jul 27 20:15:32 UTC 2008

Thanks for looking in to this.

Linas Vepstas wrote:
> I forwarded to some IBM'ers in the LTC, who should know how to get
> this email to the right place.
>
>> Out of date OpenPower hosters in:
>> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/openpower/
>>
>> I while back I had an account on the Uni Augsburg OpenPower server. That
>> went offline back in January and has never come back up. The Uni Peking
>> site seems to be gone as well.

I should clarify what I mean by this:

1. The website for Uni Augsburg is still there, but the server hasn't
been accessible, as stated on:
http://tuxppc.rz.uni-augsburg.de/news/

The news message they've posted is not good publicity for Power systems:

"Due to reliability problems we had to shutdown the host for an
unscheduled maintenance. This might take a few days. We'll keep you
updated here in the news section of the TuxPPC website. [message of
21.01.2008]"

2. The Peking site isn't accessible (no reponse from host):
http://ppclinux.pku.edu.cn/index.php

There's a statement on http://powerdev.osuosl.org/
("Notes for old U of P users"), which maybe is related, although that's
just a guess.

> Personally, I think it'd be slick if some new 32-way Power6's got
> placed in these labs ...

Yeah! :-)

--
======= Gareth Randall =======