[osuosl-powerdev] Cell Server Questionnaire

Ben Kero bkero at osuosl.org
Fri Jul 10 22:37:20 UTC 2009

Hi folks,

Your friendly sysadmins at the OSL have been talking about what to do
with your Cell QS20 blades.  We've traditionally had Fedora 8 on them,
although this is becoming impossible since Fedora 8 was EOL'd recently.
Likewise, the QS20's are not supported by any newer version of Fedora.
I've just finished building Gentoo on one of the blades, and I'd like to
ask our Powerdev users a few questions.

1) Do you use the IBM Cell SDK currently provided in Fedora?  How
important is it to you?
2) Would you be interested in using the SDK, if you knew it was
provided?
3) We'd like to know if efforts to port the SDK to Gentoo would be
appreciated or used.
4) Are there any incompatibility concerns you have with your project and
a Gentoo host?

Thanks,
Ben Kero