[osuosl-powerdev] Feedback on Cell usage

Tilmann Scheller tilmann.scheller at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 20 20:28:44 UTC 2009

Hi Lance,

I was planning to set up a nightly tester for the Cell SPU backend of
the LLVM compiler infrastructure (http://llvm.org), however the
backend still has some issues which need to be fixed so a nightly
tester is not useful at this point (those issues are being worked on).
Right now I'm mostly working on the PowerPC backend of LLVM, in the
past I have also hacked on the SPU backend and I plan to work on it
again in the future.

Currently I'm actively working on a fault simulation (parallel-pattern
single-fault propagation) which is accelerated on the SPUs, however I
wasn't sure whether I can use the OSUOSL machines for this, as
strictly speaking this is not open source work, I would be glad to do
so though.

So all in all I would be very happy if the Cell blades would continue running :)

Cheers,

Tilmann