[Puppet] Module testing blocker

Jeffrey Borcean jeffrey at osuosl.org
Wed Feb 17 15:09:45 UTC 2016

Hello team,

We seem to have hit a blocker in running the acceptance tests against motd;
resulting in a crash sating "`rescue in find_only_one': There should be one
host with database defined".  See the full output here [1].

As part of the debugging process I used pry to step through what beaker was
running and further examine the failure. This did not yield much useful
information aside from seeing that it would fail after entering
lib/beaker/dsl/host_helpers.rb:62.

I reached out to Ian who suggested I use git bisect to find a commit
between when we had gotten tests working and after QA had done work on the
modules. With that I found commit 0e3c8359de85efc8a17c39406fbc49f815c9841f to
be the most recent commit against which tests would execute cleanly.

Questions for you:

Are we calling the beaker tests correctly?
bundle exec rake beaker

And to test against something other than default.yml
env BEAKER_set=ubuntu-server-1404-x64 bundle exec rake beaker

Would it be beneficial to have a QA engineer that we can ask questions
regarding the differences between how we test and how the QA team tests
modules?

[1]
https://gist.github.com/borcean/1f07ea642a48ea4ac1a5#file-beaker_error-L48

Thank you,