[Replicant] Network unlocking on Replicant

amuza amuza at riseup.net
Mon Apr 8 21:31:00 UTC 2019

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli:
> On Mon, 08 Apr 2019 09:19:00 +0000
> amuza <amuza at riseup.net> wrote:
>
>>> Once this is installed and unlocked, try to backup everything.
>>> Also try to backup the EFS partition in a form that enables you to
>>> very easily restore it under Replicant if needed.
>>
>> Any recommendation on how to backup the EFS partition in a form that
>> lets me easily restore it under Replicant?
> Fil Lupin is working on making backup instructions which will also
> includes instructions for the EFS. I think some of his work is in this
> forum thread:
> https://redmine.replicant.us/boards/3/topics/14859?r=14943#message-14943
>
> Also the old installation instructions for the Galaxy Nexus also have
> some instructions for that:
> https://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/GalaxyNexusI9250Installation#Saving-the-modified-nv_databin
>
> However on the Galaxy SIII (i9300), the EFS is mounted at /efs
>> $ mount
>> [...]
>> /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 on /efs type ext4
>> (rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,journal_async_commit,data=ordered)
>
> So besides changing the backup directory from galaxy_nexus_efs_backup
> to something more adapted like galaxy_s3_efs_backup you also need to
> substitute /factory for /efs.
>
> Denis.

Done!!

Thank you all!

The unlocking code worked ok with the Lineageos image. Then I did every
suggested backup, but it was not needed because when I installed
Replicant again, it was already unlocked!

I think it would be good to mention this in the installation page of the
wiki. I mean to recommend, in case the phone is network-locked, to
unlock it before starting the installation (and backup the efs partition
too just in case).

I tried to edit the wiki myself, I logged in, but did not see how, maybe
it is not editable by everyone...

Thanks again! My happiness is replicating!