[Replicant] Wiki revamp: tree-like structure, duplicates, outdated and deprecated

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at cyberdimension.org
Thu Aug 22 19:11:18 UTC 2019

On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 21:20:22 +0100
dllud <dllud at riseup.net> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
Hi,

> What I did was:
> 1. Organize pages into a tree-like structure according to themes:
> https://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/index
> 2. Harmonize page names (i.e., CamelCase on all).
Good idea.

> Here are a few further things that I could do, but didn't, as it's
> better to wait for comments:
>
> 1. Remove the "Replicant" prefix from the name of several pages
> (ReplicantArtwork, ReplicantImages, ReplicantInfrastructure,
> ReplicantInstallation, ReplicantReleaseKey, etc.). I feel that this is
> quite redundant. Most pages on the wiki are about Replicant, and
> several do not have the "Replicant" prefix on their name already. IMO
> removing this prefix would improve the browsing experience throughout
> the wiki.
Good idea.

> 2. Delete the deprecated pages that followed Wolfgang's update
> procedure from 4.2 to 6.0:
> https://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/DeprecatedReplicant60Pages
> All the history is already kept on the pages that are now live.
>
> Thoughts on this?
There are better ways than straightly deleting information:
- When the whole page is not relevant anymore, it could be moved to be
  under the [[OutdatedPages]].
- When information in a page is outdated and has to be removed, the
  [[OutdatedPages]] could hold a link to the point before the removal
  of such information.

For instance if I want to compile Replicant 4.2 because some SIM cards
are recognized in Replicant 4.2 but are not anymore in Replicant 6.0.
Here it could help bisect the issue, having that information in the
wiki saves time.

== Longer term ==
In the longer term it would also be nice to have something that looks
like a database behind the wiki, to be able to reuse the same
information in several places:
- MediaWiki with the semantic extension could be used for that.
  With that we might might also be able to use that information form
  Wikidata.
- We could also do something like LineageOS and generate a website from
  static information in a yaml file.

The issue is to keep a good balance between the reusability of the
information and how easy it is to contribute.

Denis.