[Replicant] Assembly at 36C3 - Banner Idea

Adonay Felipe Nogueira adfeno at hyperbola.info
Tue Dec 10 14:05:52 UTC 2019

Em 09/12/2019 22:13, dllud escreveu:
> 1) The text doesn't seem to be converted to a path.
> I can select the text in the PDF and copy-paste it to other programs. I
> guess that wouldn't be possible if it were a path. Also, there is an
> embedded font in the PDF, which is another telltale sign that the text
> was not converted to a path.

Indeed you are right, although I did ask Scribus to make paths out of
the text, instead of embedding the fonts. Despite this, since League
Gothic Regular is a TrueType web font, the makers didn't provide the
necessary "post" table that professional graphics programs like Scribus
use to automatically convert text to outlines. I tried unchecking either
the "Subset" or "Embed in PostScript" property of League Gothic Regular
in Scribus 1.4.6 (at "File" → "Document configuration" → "Fonts"), but
got the same result (I guess those are just for show, not customizable
in 1.4.6). So I decided to take the manual conversion route.

I also made the subscript of the ".us" part of "Replicant.us", which I
forgot in the previous version.

> 2) The file format seems to be PDF-1.3. The datasheet asks for a
> PDF/X-3:2003[1], which is based on PDF-1.4.

As far as I can tell the file has the information that registers intent
to be compliant with PDF/X-3:2002, as I see from GTS_PDFXVersion when doing:

----8<----------------------- Cut here ------------------------->8----
$ strings "Banner.pdf" | grep PDF

%PDF-1.3
/Producer (Scribus PDF Library 1.4.6)
/GTS_PDFXVersion (PDF/X-3:2002)
<< /ProcSet [/PDF /Text /ImageB /ImageC /ImageI]
/S /GTS_PDFX
----8<----------------------- Cut here ------------------------->8----

> The PDF/X standard has an interesting feature for bleed:
>> If the file is to be printed with bleed, a BleedBox, which must be larger than the TrimBox/ArtBox, but smaller than the MediaBox, must be defined.

From what I gather, the produced .PDF already has the /BleedBox bigger
than /TrimBox, although it's still equal to /MediaBox, as seen using qpdf:

----8<----------------------- Cut here ------------------------->8----
$ qpdf --show-pages "Banner.pdf"

page 1: 36 0 R
  content:
    35 0 R

$ qpdf --show-object=36 --filtered-stream-data "Banner.pdf"

<< /BleedBox [ 0.00000 0.00000 3514.95496 1814.16756 ] /Contents 35 0 R
/CropBox [ 0 0 3514.95496 1814.16756 ] /MediaBox [ 0 0 3514.95496
1814.16756 ] /Parent 4 0 R /Rotate 0 /TrimBox [ 56.69008 56.69008
3458.26488 1757.47748 ] /Type /Page >>

I hope that the attached files have the right properties now.