[Replicant] phone OS comparison and app alterntives

Fil fil.bergamo at riseup.net
Sat Feb 9 16:05:15 UTC 2019

On 02/09/2019 01:29 PM, Nick wrote:
> As to users having access to apps they currently rely on that aren't
> in fdroid, the Yalp Store app (which is in fdroid) is a good
> solution;

No, it is definitely NOT a good solution!
The Yalp Store allows for non-free software to be installed on the device.
Indeed, the fact that Yalp is available on F-Droid is one of the reasons
we are currently evaluating to possibly stop shipping F-Droid in
Replicant images [1].
This is because, even if Yalp is free software in itself, its primary
use case is to install proprietary software. This makes its inclusion in
F-Droid problematic for Replicant, which aims to fully comply to the GNU
Free Software Distribution Guidelines [2].

> I think that would it be worth mentioning. However it does offer
> nonfree applications, so maybe this would be against policy to
> mention it on the website,

Indeed, suggesting it in the official documentation would be against
Replicant's sake of being FSDG-compliant.

Cheers,

Fil