[Replicant] phone OS comparison and app alterntives

Fil Lupin fillupin at protonmail.com
Sat Feb 9 23:02:12 UTC 2019

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 3:48 PM, Fil <fil.bergamo at riseup.net> wrote:

> Hi, Fil Lupin.
>
> On 02/09/2019 01:03 PM, Fil Lupin wrote:
>
> > 2.  Newcomers would like to be able to install the same apps they used
> >     on android.
> >     Possibilities to keep applications they used should be given, through
> >     alternatives (f-droid, etc.), keeping application data and even
> >     downloading app without google account in the case the app is not
> >     available in another repo than google play.
> >

> Keeping in mind that Replicant cannot suggest and/or document ways of
> installing/maintaining non-free software, this has a section of its own
> in the wiki [1].
> IIRC, you have been given wiki editing rights. If not, please remind me
> to do so.

Absolutly, I have the rights. I know that wiki is versionned but I wanted to discuss this with community before proposing a content which already exists, or before proposing a webpage at the bad place.

I will propose on the list the content I think of, this will perhaps allow to help better organise the information for newcomers. :)

> Also, I'd like to point out that in the case of a freely-licensed
> application not being present on F-Droid or on any other
> free-software-friendly repo, then it's more correct and sustainable to
> apply for the inclusion of such application upstream (be it F-droid or
> any other), rather than suggesting a quick workaround (e.g. to download
> the apk somewhere else).

Absolutly, in addition to the fact that several of the app on google play store some personnal data.
Such a solution would need at least a strong warning.
However, I think that if a solution exists to download apk, it could be explained for user which want app not available on f-droid, isn't it?

The warning given would also be a good way to help newcomers thinking about the sense of installing Replicant while keeping app tracking them.
I see this as a way to do some pedagogy, but I'm opened to the best way to do this of course.

> > 3.It would be useful if topic titles are prefixed with the same
> > "[solved]" string.
> > Id would allow:
> > (...)
>
> Well, this is ultimately up to the original authors of forum posts.
> There are no appointed forum maintainers.
> I am one of the few that can edit other people's posts, but I don't
> intend to apply for this task, as it would be EXTREMELY time-consuming.
> It would be much more sustainable if the authors themselves modified the
> title accordingly, when they think their question is "solved".

Of course, my idea was more to suggest users to change the title of their subject once an answer has been answered, and adding a post-it topic suggesting this as rule of use for the forum.
I though this would be better if discussed with the community.

> > If it seems interesting to the community, I could propose some page
> > content for at least the 1.
>
> As Joonas pointed out, the git repo for the website is available at [2].
> The encouraged way of proposing modifications to the website is to:
>
> -   clone the repo
> -   do your modifications locally
> -   test them thoroughly
> -   send a patch to the mailing list